Author Topic: Chronos V0.7.0 Full Release  (Read 42569 times)

sanjay

• Krontech
  • Krontech
    • View Profile
Chronos V0.7.0 Full Release
« on: September 01, 2021, 12:36:59 PM »
Hey Everyone,

We're happy to announce a new release of software for both the Chronos 1.4 and Chronos 2.1 cameras. This version will benefit owners of both models, as we have improved save speeds and reliability, as well as image quality on the 2.1.

We spent more time setting up image validation tests, and working with some of our users in the field to determine ideal settings for the Chronos 2.1 image sensor, so we hope the benefit is extended to you in this update.

Additionally, the Network Update option is available again, so this should be a fast and easy update for anyone on version 0.6.x. If you perform an update by connecting your camera to the internet via the Ethernet port, and then accessing the Network Update feature accessible through Util -> Storage -> Apply Software Update -> Check for Updates, you will not need to re-calibrate your camera to continue using it as long as you were previously on 0.6.x. You may still use the Network Update function to upgrade from 0.4 or 0.5, but please see the Calibration section of the Release Notes to verify correct re-calibration after the update.

I'll summarize the improvements and changes here, but please also see the official Release Notes here: https://www.krontech.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/RE-PDEV-10012-0.7.0-Release-Notes.pdf

New Features and Improvements

Save Performance and Reliability:
  • Save speed has been increased by up to 30%.
  • Stability while saving has been greatly improved.

Trigger/IO Settings:
  • Clarified some settings with "toggle" mode on the Trigger/IO screen. Now it
    specifies that it's only for buttons/switches and settings that should not be
    changed can't be changed when using this trigger function.
  • Trigger/IO screen now has a link to the trigger delay screen, and it will offer a
    reminder when using triggers if the trigger delay is changed from default (in
    case it was set accidentally).

Webpage Improvements:
  • Webpage has “zero-time” black calibration support (accessible from the menu
    at the top of the page). This feature allows for a fast black calibration to take
    place without the need to physically cover the image sensor.
  • Option for 'Digital Gain' added to the Main Screen / Homepage.
  • Some Chronos 2.1 color matrix options added to the webpage (for that camera).

Misc. Bug Fixes:
  • ‘Black Cal All’ doesn't crash the camera if certain specific trigger modes are
    used, nor will it set the trigger delay.
  • H.264 (mp4) files will not overwrite a previous file if a filename is provided
    (instead, it gives a warning that the filename was already used).

Chronos 2.1 Image Quality:
  • A previous software upgrade introduced a horizontal "shadow" when some
    areas were overexposed. This has been greatly reduced in v0.7.0.
  • Pink/magenta shift (especially in bright areas) reduced overall.

CinemaDNG Metadata:
  • All cameras formerly saved DNG images with metadata that indicated they
    were Chronos 1.4s, but this has been fixed. Chronos 2.1 cameras now say
    "Chronos 2.1" and Chronos 1.4 cameras still say "Chronos 1.4".
  • Color matrix settings are saved to DNG images now. Before, color matrix
    parameters in DNG files were always the same and ignored the camera's
    settings, but now the settings on the camera get saved in DNG files.

Known Issues, Updating Your Camera, and Calibration:
Please see the list attached in the Release Notes.

Updated User Manual and Datasheets
Please see either the 1.4 Resources or 2.1 Resources page on our website: https://www.krontech.ca/

As always, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] for more urgent support inquiries. Thanks!

NiNeff

• View Profile
Re: Chronos V0.7.0 Full Release
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 01:00:01 PM »
Nice!
With the stability apparently bneing fixes, I'm going to upgrade to 0.7 from 0.5 soon.

By the way: The PDF Release Notes state version 0.6 in the upper left ;)

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 01:31:44 PM »
Well, i am still out of Empty µSD-Cards, now i actually need to go and get some for this.
 I did order some, but they still didn't arrive yet...  Also a bit short on time currently, but will for sure install it as soon as i can.
 Thanks as always for further improving Camera and Software!

muringuets

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 02:26:34 PM »
Thanks sanjay !!!

Do you have any backlog of things to work on? So we can have an idea what's on the pipeline, softwarewise?

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 10:07:52 PM »
Thanks, a great step to increase the picture quality at lower resolutions!!

muringuets

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 07:28:52 AM »
Did a quick test yesterday with 0.7.0, as far as speed times, it is quite an improve!!! Well Done Krontech!!!

Usually I get 12fps at start, going to as low as 8 or 7 fps when saving .DNG on 1280x1024 pixels (using Chronos 1.4)

Yesterday I tested the same resolution and speeds were at start 40fps, after a while it kept going from 25 to 10fps, not a 25fps steady rate, but much faster saving at all...

Not sure the speed oscilation comes from my SSD, cable or camera itself, I'm using a SSD and the e-SATA cable.

So far very happy with the new release!!!

Thank again sanjay!!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 07:30:40 AM by muringuets »

BobbyKurtz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 12:03:31 PM »
On shoot today and tested yesterday. Wish this would have come out a day earlier as currently saving all 11 seconds CinemaDNG on 2.1 to a 16GB SD card. Have yet to be able to get network or EsaTa working correctly or for it to recognize 64gb u3 cards.

Any fixes for this in the speed improvements?

sanjay

• Krontech
  • Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 03:29:46 PM »
Nice!
With the stability apparently bneing fixes, I'm going to upgrade to 0.7 from 0.5 soon.

By the way: The PDF Release Notes state version 0.6 in the upper left ;)
Ah yes, thank you for catching that!

Thanks sanjay !!!

Do you have any backlog of things to work on? So we can have an idea what's on the pipeline, softwarewise?

For the moment, there isn't much in the pipeline for 1.4/2.1 software updates aside from bugfixes as they come up. We'll usually give the latest release ~2 months to get out onto cameras in the field, and then work with our Support and Sales & Marketing teams to look at our maintenance priorities for the 1.4/2.1.

On shoot today and tested yesterday. Wish this would have come out a day earlier as currently saving all 11 seconds CinemaDNG on 2.1 to a 16GB SD card. Have yet to be able to get network or EsaTa working correctly or for it to recognize 64gb u3 cards.

Any fixes for this in the speed improvements?

Personally wasn't aware of the issue with 64GB u3 cards, but I will ask the team. It may be helpful to send us a support email about this one as well.

Photopage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 11:15:23 PM »
thanks Sanjay,
Perfect timing, I'm about to start a series of shots with very light backgrounds and was worried about the magenta cast in highlights...
Great to have the Ethernet update back, so easy!
Cheers,
Col

weatherproductions

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 02:21:27 AM »
Thanks Krontech,

i tested it yesterday, now i get between 13 and 17+ fps saving speed on the 2.1 in 1080p DNG, average speed something around 15-16fps. With older software it was something around 10fps!

Great update so far!

BobbyKurtz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 01:14:58 PM »
So I was able to get a SanDisk 64GB u3 card to work. I get a popup message when I insert the card that says there is no High speed media available.  This was making me think it did not support it but was able to write to it.  This was still on 0.6.0, but upgraded to 0.7.0 last night and will try again.

I was unable to get network update to work but was sharing a wifi connection from Mac Book Pro via 2.5G ethernet adapter so will try again with direct ethernet. 

Still trying to get Network SMB saving and eSATA saving working.  Thank you.

Personally wasn't aware of the issue with 64GB u3 cards, but I will ask the team. It may be helpful to send us a support email about this one as well.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 01:18:07 PM by BobbyKurtz »

takashima

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 02:30:39 AM »
Thanks! 0.7.0 is very nice!
My camera is 2.1, and I always use 0.5.1.

In 0.7.0, especially when saving as H.264, the color is very beautiful.
On the other hand, I feel that it has become very difficult to handle the colors of CinemaDNG.
I'm thinking about shifting to 0.7.0 and shooting H.264 to the main.

Thank you.

Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 06:55:11 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Just upgraded to V0.7.0 yesterday and there's a color shift of the white balance while saving in Cinema DNG. Saving in H.264 is fine. Does anyone have the same problem? No matter how I set the white balance, the color is off saving in Cinema DNG. I.ve attached 2 screen cap for comparison.

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2021, 01:34:08 AM »
Hello girls and guys! I really wonder what happened to the horizontal banding problem when having strong contrast in the scene. I don't have the camera here right now. The problem was discussed here and here.

Some experiences already? Thanks!

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2021, 01:59:56 AM »
Hello girls and guys! I really wonder what happened to the horizontal banding problem when having strong contrast in the scene. I don't have the camera here right now. The problem was discussed here and here.

Some experiences already? Thanks!

Bought an Micro SD and installed 0.7.0 already by now, but still didnt have time to do in-depth testing so far. The Banding got improved from what i can tell, for some Settings even by a lot, but is still there on some others. Like the Release notes say, it got improved, but still is not completely gone. Quite a bit better though overall. Once i managed to do any meaningful amount of testing on this and other Aspects of Image Quality on this Software Release, i will try to share Results here.