Author Topic: Processing DNG raw  (Read 7674 times)

mshetzer

• View Profile
Processing DNG raw
« on: October 23, 2021, 11:52:05 AM »
I'm struggling with my workflow for processing DNG Raw.  I'm a FCPX user, and it's really clunky to get footage in.

I'd love to hear how other users are processing the DNG files.

Thanks in advance !
Matt

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Processing DNG raw
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 07:01:04 AM »
As still nobody answered this, i might as well wright something here...
 Can you describe the workflow you currently use to get it in there?
 I dont know much about Final Cut, used it for like 10 hours max to try it out once (didnt Particularly like it, also it was some really old version that was already way outdated back then, but Motion is actually kind of cool. Never really got into it though), back when i had a PowerMac for a short time. So i am not really familiar with the Software, or how one would import DNG into there...
 .  I personally usually just use Resolve, and while i hate a lot of things about that Software, its actually VERY nice to just color correct your DNGs, maybe do a little grading, and exporting it in H.264. Maybe even some basic Editing like cutting a bunch of them together.
 Thats for anything that is shot well and with enough light, and doesnt need much work, basically just getting the Colors aesthetically right. Color chart pretty much mandatory with the new firmware however. But otherwise perfect for that use, and i love it for that, renders wickedly fast, even on my "old" Computers i use to run here.
 For anything else, that needs actual work to be done to the Footage, like Tracking or Intense Denoising or other things like that, i just cant stand Resolve, and just go straight to My AE CS6. Rendering takes ages compared to Resolve, but its just a so much nicer Software to use (Personal Preference, if you like FCPX and wouldnt ever want to use anything else for example, i can very much understand that).

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 02:49:20 AM »
I'm wondering if I'll be able to write a script for ffmpeg to convert to mp4 so I can then work with it.

But colour grading seems like its something you cannot programmatically do.

Do there a way to record non DNG and just export directly into mp4 on the camera?

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 05:48:09 AM »
Do there a way to record non DNG and just export directly into mp4 on the camera?

You can Save .mp4 Files directly from the Camera, see page 27 of the User Manual https://www.krontech.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/RE-PDEV-10009-Chronos-User-Manual-Full-Software-Version-0.7.0.pdf