Author Topic: SmallRig Camera Cage  (Read 15886 times)

Solscud007

• View Profile
SmallRig Camera Cage
« on: December 07, 2021, 07:12:13 PM »
So it is thanks to Somosrobolt https://www.instagram.com/somosrobolt/ on IG he shared the cage he uses for the Chronos.

The cage is 1584 for Canon. It fits. You need the 2060 cold shoe as well. You bolt the cold shoe to the top of the Chronos and the top of the cage has a shoe tab that slide into that cold shoe.

I flipped the right side brackets so it helps to clear the battery door. You still need to rotate the camera a bit to clear the bottom of the cage. Another minor issue is pulling the SD card. It sits under the cage and I found it easier to loosen the cold shoe tab screws, slide it forward, and loosen the bracket arms so the top of the cage can be removed and now I can remove the SD card.

Solscud007

• View Profile
Re: SmallRig Camera Cage
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 04:07:58 AM »
Small Rig sent me a cad file of their dedicated cage I asked them to make via Dream Rig. The cad drawings for the Chronos really helped make this effortless.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 04:35:57 PM »
Interesting Design Approach. Things to Consider with this design would in my Opinion be these 3:
 1. The Firmware SD-Card.
 Doesnt seem like there is an intended Way to Remove the Bottom Micro-SD-Card without removing the Whole Case. This was a Main Design Consideration for my Personal Grip/ Cage Design, as i sometimes Change between Firmware Versions (which are each on a Dedicated Card) fairly Frequently, and sometimes even on Location, which would be pretty annoying if i had to remove the entire Cage for that each time. Dont know about other People, or if i am just a Weirdo in that point, but i feel like that would be a fair point to think about, if they try to make this a Product that will fit as many Users Needs as Possible. I have a hard time believing i would be the only one to ever want to do that.
 2. Top Part "the Roof"
 The Top Part of the Cage, that extends in front of the Camera Mounting Face seems a bit extreme. Top also extends a bit beyond the Front on my Design, but only by 3mm (will also add a Fat Bevel on the Camera Side of that eventually, and remove as much Material as Practical). Looks like WAY more than that on their Design. While this is Probably fine for almost anything you would ever Mount using C-Mount and CS-Mount, this might get in the Way when using Interchangeable Mounts, like some People have made 3D-Printable and in Metal on the Forum, which i Made a few different ones of, and which Krontech is now also Selling, More Designs and Different Mounts Probably Showing up in the Future at some Point. Plate Thickness on these (at least my Designs) is usually ~4mm, so the 3mm Would Still Clear that, and allow good access to the Screws, this Small Rig Design as by the Images shared here might make at least the Top two Screws hard to reach or Uncomfortable to mount.
 3. Side Part/ Grip Side / Top mounting Screw.
 Cant really tell From Just these 3 Screenshots, but the Right Part next to the Grip looks a bit "fat" or thick. The Grip on the Chronos Cameras is already fairly "wide" in comparison to most of today's DSLRs, so adding even more Material to the Side might make this a bit uncomfortable to hold (even more than it already is). I personally Tried to basically just add a small edge to the existing Grip on the Camera to give my Fingers a more distinct Surface to Grab onto, and "fill" in the Spots/ gaps where my Hands where not Touching the Camera Anyways. While i was at that, i figured, i might as well use that as a Support Beam on the Design. Currently the Grip Part on mine is Still way to Fat on mine, but i want to go slow on that, as i can only remove Material and not add it back on later, if i mess up. From the Screenshots it also looks like the only Connection point would be The Bottom or maybe also on the Side, where the Grip ist, but that Hole Seems to have a Thread, so not too sure about that. My Design was built around the Cold-Shoe, which i was using anyways before, and an Arca-Plate which i am also anyways using all the Time on there as Mounting Points, together with the Wish to have some "Feet" on the Bottom, so it would not Tip to Front or side, when set on a Flat Surface (i for some Reason really hate it does that) with an Average Lens on it, in combination with needing to eventually put the SSDs somewhere, which in Consequence would have to go front Left or to the Left side of the Camera, so i put a bunch of Mounting Points there.
 What i am Trying to say, is that i really dont know how i feel about adding Material to the Side of the Camera, as i am a fairly Large Guy with pretty big Hands, and even i find the Grip on the Chronos Cameras Big and fairly hard to hold onto. The Design Small Rig Made however looks fairly Slim in general apart from that, which still should hold up to most general use i would assume, mine is like 400% overbuilt, and i probably will eventually end up still removing a bunch more Material from it.
 Otherwise great, that they even took the Time to take this Serious and give this a Shot. Would really be interesting to know, what kind of Price-Range to expect for this if that ever gets made into a final Product.
 Just Posted a bunch of up-to-date Images of the Current Progress on my Personal Grip/Cage Thing in the Other Thread.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 04:40:56 PM »
Also not 100% sure, if the Side Part on the Grip would fully Clear the Opening Battery Door on the Bottom, after looking at them again. Posted an Image of mine, where that is Shown as A Closeup, take a look at that as well. I assume the side Part on that Cage Design might Prevent that Door From Opening Far enough, so you cant quite get the Batteries out. I Did Prototyping with that Black Foam First at an 1:1 Scale, and the Way that Door Opened was indeed somewhat unexpected for me when coming up with Dimensions initially.
 https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=683.msg4969#msg4969
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 04:58:39 PM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 05:43:20 PM »
I also did a Short Study (you may as well just call it basic reverse Engineering) on Nikonīs Cameras Grip Shapes, and that was also how i came up with my Grip Shape for the Chronos. Shot Footage for that, edited that, but never really found the Time to actually word my Thoughts about that into an Forum Post able to post. Might as well post it here now.
 In very, very Short i at some Point noticed, that the Nikon D500 and The Chronos 2.1 are not only basically the Exact same overall Dimensions, but also about the Same Weight. But for some Reason, the D500 is some of the Most Comfortable Camera i ever worked With in Terms of Ergonomics and Grip Design, while the 2.1 is strangely hard to hold onto for long Periods of time. Never Actually shot the Chronos Version of that Comparison, but the Footage should speak for itself mostly i think, if you look at it for a bit. Compared my N1 J5 to this also, which is MUCH smaller, but still far easier to hold, even with huge heavy Lenses on it. Much about Angles and Balance, really. I considered to actually Put my 2.1 Body onto my Mill and just Modify the Grip at some Point, but wasnt confident enough to really do that so far, might do that at some Point in the Future Still, depending on how well the Cage/ Grip design will prove to work long term.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:54:41 AM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 05:47:41 PM »
Didnt let me post all files in one Post because of file size, so here are the Remaining Video Files to above Post:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:54:29 AM by Nikon1 »

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 03:41:45 AM »
Hello,

I ordered the camera cage from SmallRig and its realy perfect with my Chronos 2.1. My second project was a new SSD cage. Originaly the cage is  for Atomos Ninja V and is attached with a nato rail clamp.

ivandan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 10:07:26 PM »
Hello,

I ordered the camera cage from SmallRig and its realy perfect with my Chronos 2.1. My second project was a new SSD cage. Originaly the cage is  for Atomos Ninja V and is attached with a nato rail clamp.
model brand name v-mount plate? 19.5v? please

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 11:20:59 PM »
Hello,

This one:

https://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A2HG93/Globalmediapro-VLP-U-V-Mount-to-DC-Multi-Voltage-Converter/

hummingbirdography

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 01:04:36 AM »
Hello,

Can you please share the cage you used for the lunchbox ssd?  :)

ivandan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 12:38:57 AM »
Hello,

This one:

https://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A2HG93/Globalmediapro-VLP-U-V-Mount-to-DC-Multi-Voltage-Converter/

I can not buy this product because of the sanctions against russia.

muringuets

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 07:53:39 AM »
Hello,

This one:

I can not buy this product because of the sanctions against russia.

Try a external power bank with 110V AC outlet, and use the charger directly to the camera... You can find a lot of power banks of that sort on websiltes like aliexpress...

I'm, using a Jackery 300, it gives me more than 6h of continuous use, I can also power a external light with this rig...

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 02:24:02 PM »
i mean, if it has to be V-Mount and you cant buy the Globalmedia Pro one (there is plenty other ones, but none that i can find offer 19V output apart from that one), you could still do a Little DIY and just build one.
 Would also be cheaper (a lot).
 Given you can Buy these Two kinds of Items in Russia (Links as Examples, any Generic Plain V-Mount Plate and Variable Voltage input voltage Boost Converter with a Output of 19V and At least 3 to 5 Amps Will work. With these China Voltage Converters, i would generally Recommend to go with quite a bit more current Capability than you need, and Possibly Replace the Cooler with something more Potent for a Long-Term Serious solution), you should be able to make one:
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/234568815535
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/191836713668
 If you feel like it, add some kind of Case from Whatever you can get your Hands on.
 Otherwise, it would probably actually be easier to just get something that Can Output Mains Voltage and just plug the Standard Power Brick into that, if you cant import that Product to Russia.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 02:26:03 PM by Nikon1 »

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2022, 12:56:44 AM »
Can you please share the cage you used for the lunchbox ssd?  :)

Here are some new pictures from my solution:

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2023, 08:41:43 AM »
Hi, if anyone is interested - Smallrig is currently producing a custom camera cage for the Chronos via Dreamrig....
https://www.facebook.com/smallrig/posts/check-out-the-chronos-14-cage-and-side-bracket-designed-by-dreamrig-team-for-use/4467505773354974/