Author Topic: External Battery / 20V Power Bank for longer run time  (Read 15879 times)

ExperimentBoy

• View Profile
External Battery / 20V Power Bank for longer run time
« on: October 17, 2018, 03:43:46 AM »
Hi everyone!

Baptiste here from the ExperimentBoy French YouTube channel. As I do a lot of outdoor experiments filming that require long preparation times before the event -or the explosion- can happen, battery time is often an issue when I have to set up the camera and let it run for a while.

I've stumbled upon this Litionite power bank, it has a massive 50,000mAh capacity (185Wh), and can output both USB and DC Jack at 5V, 8.4V, 9V, 12V, 16V and 20V, which works perfectly for the Chronos and the amount of current the camera draws. (Also works great with an Atomos monitor at 12V) It comes with a ton of adapters.

It's a no-brand Chinese product, so you should be able to find branded copies everywhere. It cost me 150€ (~USD 175)
Amazon FR/EU: https://www.amazon.fr/Litionite-Tanker-50000mAh-Aluminium-Batterie/dp/B01LZXPMXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539772428&sr=8-1&keywords=litionite+50000
Amazon US (try searching related products): https://www.amazon.com/50000mAh-Portable-Charging-5V-9V-12V-External/dp/B07BM9CF9D/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539772387&sr=8-3&keywords=50000mah+power+bank+DC

I've run the camera only with the external supply (no battery in the camera, otherwise it draws much more current to charge it at the same time), and the power level dropped by 5% in 24 minutes. Pretty impressive...

Happy filming!
-- Baptiste

Sael

• View Profile
Re: External Battery / 20V Power Bank for longer run time
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 06:45:57 PM »
The external battery I bought is this one off of amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01BLXY3B6/

It's handled things fairly well thus far, surviving being tossed around in my work bag and multiple coffee spills.. though it appears to have gone up in price by ~100CAD since I bought it..

RoboChair

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 04:09:14 PM »
You could also get a couple of 12V lead acid batteries or a 24V lead acid and use a buck converter to drop the voltage down to proper charging voltage if you are the kind of person that goes in for that kind of handy project. Could be as large as car batteries with over 1000 watt/hrs.

Jeffism

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 04:19:31 PM »
Is this an ad? Feels like an ad ;)

Anyway, 185Wh is a concern for air travel. The general rule is <100Wh is fine, which is why many large laptop batteries are 99.5Wh or so. Not strictly enforced by airport security but it'd suck to get that one screening agent that knows the rules and seizes your 150EUR powerbank.

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 02:56:35 PM »
You could also get a couple of 12V lead acid batteries or a 24V lead acid and use a buck converter to drop the voltage down to proper charging voltage if you are the kind of person that goes in for that kind of handy project. Could be as large as car batteries with over 1000 watt/hrs.

Funny you mention that, I grabbed a car charger from amazon to get extended battery life thanks to spare car battery I already had. It's not fun to carry around but its a lot nicer than a generator or 10m^2 of solar panels.

dgerrard

• View Profile

DavisolAvin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 05:35:22 AM »
Haven't checked this external battery yet. I'll definitely test it if my current external battery will dry out. External batteries generally have high power and high capacity is very large, which makes the charging process much faster. 3. External batteries with micro USB or mini USB ports can supply energy to several different gadget brands. I believe that it is important to have an online resource about batteries. I love https://batterytools.net/ because I can browse through hundreds of free guides and articles where I can find answers to all my battery questions.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 10:44:35 PM by DavisolAvin »

wanderplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 02:34:24 AM »
Despite the fact that it looks to have increased in price by around one hundred Canadian dollars (CAD) after I purchased it, it has performed quite well so far, surviving being thrown around in my work bag and many coffee spills. If you are the sort of person who enjoys taking on handy projects like this one, you could also purchase a pair of lead acid batteries with a voltage of 12 volts or a lead acid battery with a voltage of 24 volts and then use a buck converter to reduce the voltage to the appropriate level for charging the battery. It's possible they'll be as big as car batteries and pack more than a thousand watt-hours.