General > General high-speed discussion

Slow-Mo Ideas / Requests Thread

<< < (2/4) > >>

Nikon1:
didnt have much time for it, but had a VERY Quick Try at that.
 Forgot that i removed the Hot Mirror in front of the Sensor for another Project, so Color is hella Weird on these (tried to fix it a bit in post, but cant make badly Lit Fullspectrum Footage look normally).
 Also Super Bad Light Setup (mobile Setup on A snowy Field out in the Nowhere with an Godox VL300 on V-Mounts). Or more like bad Setup in general...
 I In total did Pop 4 of them, one at 2100fps HD; one at 5400fps (a Perforated one, but camera Froze up, so Footage Was lost. Only Lots of Smoke on that one and not much else, so not too much of a loss), last two handheld at Arms Length away at 19kfps (cap_3.mp4 is the best one in my opinion, but the Sparks on 1 are also nice). Just Hiding my Head behind the Camera, and Safety Glasses.
 After Trying that for the First time Myself, i have to say that is actually pretty Fun to do. As long as you hold at least some distance and have the Main Direction of Material Flying somewhere else then Straight to your Face, having your Head Covered and Safety Glasses on, that is probably at least as safe as playing with those Tiny Firecrackers for these Very small Capacitors. For anything considerably Larger than your Pinky Finger (if you can find any without Perforation on top or Vents on the Bottom Side, also depending on the Size of your hands) you probably would want to up your Safety Precautions quite a bit. but i assume a bunch of Meters of Wire, to buy you some Distance would take care of most of that. Not actual advice regards Safety, just my opinion and what i did and how i would do it, as i said before (just to make sure), if you do Stupid stuff like that, do your own research and take your own precautions and Responsibility if you try to not get intentionally hurt.
 @ chrissie_c: if you want to get to try this but are afraid of the Matter, i think you could Try to start with some Small Perforated ones, these are fairly unimpressive and also really safe usually. Once you are comftable with that, you can try with small unperforated ones, working your way up in size. these 50V 1µF ones (first thing i found in my bin without perforated Tops) are Really cute, and still pack a nice Bang for their Size, must have been from some old PC-PSU or something. for anything much bigger absolutely keep like 3 to 5 Meters Distance at least on the First Tries, until you know how they behave.
 @ anyone Else, i feel like this would really be worth reshooting in a Proper setting with good Lights and more Time Put into it than the 90 Minutes i used here. will for sure make for some Interresting Looking Footage. But that Happens Fairly Fast, feel like 2000 to 5000 fps is about the Lowest that is Worth using here to get any meaningful footage Here. Make Sure to Watch those 19kfps Clips Frame By Frame on the Parts where it pops for best effect, and i would love to see anyone else who has a Try at this share as well! Have Fun!

chrissie_c:
Those are great thanks!, I'm definitely inspired to have a go now - maybe in Summer when the outside lighting doesn't need quite so much help :)

Nikon1:
Also, situations involving cats and cucumbers probably would also look very interesting.

chrissie_c:
It's very hard to get cats to do anything when there's a camera running - as soon as I point a camera at either of my cats they curl up and go to sleep!

All those cat videos on YouTube - fake ;-)

chrissie_c:
Re: Capacitors - it looks like the professionals beat me to it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WUxgmMDts4

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version