Author Topic: Slow-Mo Ideas / Requests Thread  (Read 11863 times)

Nikon1

• View Profile
Slow-Mo Ideas / Requests Thread
« on: January 08, 2022, 05:40:33 AM »
As this Forum also has a Section that is for General Higspeed / Slow-Mo Talk, and we have a ton of people here which either own one or More Camera(-s) Capable of recording serious Highspeed-Footage or are at least interested in the Topic, i want to start a Thread here, were anyone can post & share Ideas and Requests on what to shoot in Slow Motion.
 Really anyone can post in here, this is meant as a place for everyone who isnt able to shoot what they want to, for whatever reasons ( be it lack of Human / Material / Financial Resources; Lack of time; Lack of a camera or other Gear able to capture what they are looking for; etc.); and also for people who have the Hardware like Lights; Cameras and Lenses, and have a hard time Coming up with good ideas on what to shoot like Content Creators for Youtube and Such or just People who are Looking for Ideas for a Fun and/or challenging Spare-Time Project.
 Would of course be nice if you would share your results here, if you end up using some of the Ideas here or doing any of these Requests, or at least link them here, but you dont have to, if you dont want to.
 Only Real Rules i want to set here are, that anyone Posting Ideas or Requests should do at least SOME Amount of Research if what he is looking for already exists somewhere. For example, please dont just blindly ask for someone to shoot Mousetraps or Balloons in Highspeed, as those two are probably among the Most commonly Shot Things in Highspeed, as far as Footage for Entertainment Purposes goes at least. For Those you would probably find Plenty Footage without even trying, unless you are Looking for something very Specific, like Closeups of the Point where the Hull Starts to rip apart or detailed Shot of the Trigger Mechanism going off or something like that.
 You dont need to spend weeks Searching, but doing at least one or two quick Searches on Google and Youtube shouldnt be too much to ask.
 If there is any kind of Footage of what you want to see, it would be helpful if you would post that as a Reference too (if there is any), even if its Low Resolution or otherwise bad and low Quality.
 Also, while something like the FullHD @ 180fps a GH5 can Capture are sometimes enough to Capture decent Cinematic Footage (Slow-Motion), this isnt quite what this Thread is meant to be about. Highspeed-Slow-Motion is what i consider anything shot at like 400fps and more to be. Ideally of course 1000+fps, if possible or Practical. So, If everything you have is a Phone that shoots 480fps, you are very welcome to post, but 240fps or 180fps, which a Lot of DSLMs / Action-Cams Shoot these Days usually dont quite cuts it for this thread. If you have some outstanding Footage that is shot at lower Framerate, where there is little or no other footage anywhere, please still share, but i feel like to be shot at 180fps or more would be about the absolute Minimum in this case.
 Anything requested or shared here should also stay within what the Forum Rules are (and also general legal Limits).

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Slow-Mo Ideas / Requests Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 06:39:33 AM »
I am going to Start with a Bunch of Ideas/ Requests here:
 .  1. Super-Chilled Water freezing "instantly"
 I Personally encountered this so far 3 times in my life, once when a Co-Worker left a new sealed Waterbottle in a Fridge for a while, and forgot about it, to then open it and have it freeze in its hands unexpectedly (years ago), and about the same story with me by myself leaving a bottle of water in my Car over Night when it was freezing cold outside, and it then freezing when i opened it (not too long before it tried shooting that in highspeed).
 I Tried Last year for about two full Afternoons to get this to happen intentionally and get a good shot of that in Highspeed with the Chronos 2.1, but was not successful. I eventually managed to get it to happen once, but that was sadly not on camera, and all my further tries at this Failed.
 There seems to be a few people on YT who managed to get some Decent Quality Footage of this happening, but even after Searching for a While (to be fair i didnt do a recent search, so if someone uploaded anything within the last 6 Month or so, i wouldnt know about this rn.), there didnt seem to be anyone who shot this in Highspeed yet.
 Its a fairly challenging Project (or its just my fridge being weird, i tried with huge Bottles also, which probably didnt help) to get this to happen in front of Camera, as the Bottle will also freeze up on the outside, blocking the View.
 Would love to see someone do this with any Decent Quality Highspeed-Camera, especially Some Extreme Closeups of the Ice Forming, i assume that must be overwhelmingly beautiful Footage.
 I personally however dont really have the Time to keep Trying to Capture that, and am apparently doing something wrong with my cooling process anyways.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEHdyiBMgAg
 [See the Opening Shot in that Video]
 2. Wire Break Testing
 Whoever has not seen these, here are two good examples:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMZW1SX_rbk
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ifgUuOukQ
 I am Fairly sure that would look Stunning when shot with a Proper Highspeed-Camera.
 Now There is a Video on the Hydraulic Pull Channel, but by far not to this Scale.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qlkm9px3YI
 The Real Test Sites for these huge Steel Ropes are just something completely else.
 Of course that is Stupidly Dangerous to shoot, but probably could be done with some thought put into Protecting the Camera and a Good Remote Control Setup (you dont want to be anywhere near that, when it snaps!).
 I also assume that this would maybe even give helpful information to the Companies who do the Testing, and might even be good PR for the Test-Site / -Company Itself if it gets some views on YT, so possibly mutual Benefits on this one.
 Sadly i dont know any kind of such Test Sites anywhere near me, and dont have the time to Build some Protection Rig for my camera to be able to do that.
 3. "Classical Phantom Camera Theatre"
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x__tpLzsLNc
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG64Isx0N2Y
 There are a bunch more Videos to that Series, but these Two are in my opinion the best of those.
 I love the Storytelling they do there with Highspeed. Never seen anything like this done ever after, and would love to see more like that.
 These were part of the Reason why i wanted to get into Highspeed back when they came out.
 I so far couldnt come up with a Proper Plot for anything alike, if anyone has Ideas Please Share them or Straight up shoot them, if you are able to.
 4. Sound Design
 While i very much Respect classical / Traditional Sound Design for Highspeed-Footage like its currently used about everywhere, i feel like its time to start a new trend here.
 https://youtu.be/K8BDfoXm94I?t=673
 Lauri did that a while ago, and i very much think there is a lot more that could be done with not-so-Serious Sound effects. Almost everyone currently uses the usual fabricated Slow-Mo Sound of Layered Things Breaking and Hitting each other with a ton of Reverb, and i feel like its almost a overdone concept sometimes (sometimes it really adds to the footage though).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 06:46:30 AM by Nikon1 »

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 09:10:33 AM »
One thing my boyfriend keeps mentioning is exploding an electrolytic capacitor - I'm not doing it because it's too dangerous. Apparently if you get the right sort (cheap ones without a cross on the top) then they go up impressively. There are a few of them on YouTube but they are mostly really badly filmed and usually not slow-mo.

Might be a job for Lauri if he can get hold of a big one ;-)

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 10:18:18 AM »
Well, thats exactly what i am talking about ;)
 I will see if i can make something happen, have plenty Small ones around which i dont need (probably half a Bucket full or something, but not all in one place). Wouldnt be too big of a Problem for me to shoot that on the 2.1 some day. The Big ones however are buildt MUCH saver, so Chances of that happening are really low on the Big Capacitors, unless you have some very old and somehow Seriously defective ones.
 Once had some of the Big ones (where 8 Of them i think but dont remember fully, fairly big, not quite the size of a Soda Can Each) fail while in Operation in a big Inverter. That was (at least Visually) very anticlimactic. Was standing like 5 to 8 Meters away from the Inverter, and only thing you would notice was some Strange Hissing, like Gas Escaping Rapidly and some moderate amount of Smoke coming out of the Inverter Housing, followed shortly after by an overwhelmingly bad Stench. We had to power everything down, open every window and Door in that part of the Building for Ventilation, and that Smell was still very noticeably there the Next Day. Still not sure why they just Randomly Failed, the Entire Unit was Replaced Later under Warranty.
 Pretty sure wouldnt be very impressive on Video if you did that to one of these Big ones. The Smoke Coming out might be somewhat Interresting to look at, but thats about all you would get out of that, so usually not worth to Kill an Otherwise good, Big Capacitor for (and those are usually also not exactly Cheap). The Small ones are pretty much your bet bet for that, and they can indeed pack some Bang in them.
 Seen Plenty of the Videos you are talking about, cant Quite Remember what they usually do to get the "best Results", but Reversing Polarity usually is really bad for those Electrolytic Capacitors (sometimes Voltage doesnt even need to be obscenely high for that, just wrong Polarity will usually do), and if that doesnt work, use AC Current on them, that will do it. Some people However will straight up put Mains Voltage on them.
 I personally wouldnt be too scared of doing that, even though i never did that intentionally so far, i am way more afraid of the Smell if anything (i can literally Smell These Videos of People doing that...). The Stench these Can (and usually will) produce is BAD. So if you do that behind some kind of Cover, so you are completely out of the Line of direct Sight of those (at least Eyes / Head, they dont have THAT much power, its not like a Bullet, where you have some solid Projectile. So even a Thick Plastic Shield or a Piece of Glass should be enough), have some kind of Protection for Your Front Lens (some clear Filter Will probably do), and wear Safety Glasses just for good Practice, you should be very safe in my opinion (no Actual advice though, if you do stupid stuff like that, do that on your own risk with whatever safety precautions you deem Appropriate.). However ABSOLUTELY do that outside your House because of the Smell.

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 02:38:17 AM »
Thank you for all that detail! I'll think about it :)

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 02:41:26 PM »
didnt have much time for it, but had a VERY Quick Try at that.
 Forgot that i removed the Hot Mirror in front of the Sensor for another Project, so Color is hella Weird on these (tried to fix it a bit in post, but cant make badly Lit Fullspectrum Footage look normally).
 Also Super Bad Light Setup (mobile Setup on A snowy Field out in the Nowhere with an Godox VL300 on V-Mounts). Or more like bad Setup in general...
 I In total did Pop 4 of them, one at 2100fps HD; one at 5400fps (a Perforated one, but camera Froze up, so Footage Was lost. Only Lots of Smoke on that one and not much else, so not too much of a loss), last two handheld at Arms Length away at 19kfps (cap_3.mp4 is the best one in my opinion, but the Sparks on 1 are also nice). Just Hiding my Head behind the Camera, and Safety Glasses.
 After Trying that for the First time Myself, i have to say that is actually pretty Fun to do. As long as you hold at least some distance and have the Main Direction of Material Flying somewhere else then Straight to your Face, having your Head Covered and Safety Glasses on, that is probably at least as safe as playing with those Tiny Firecrackers for these Very small Capacitors. For anything considerably Larger than your Pinky Finger (if you can find any without Perforation on top or Vents on the Bottom Side, also depending on the Size of your hands) you probably would want to up your Safety Precautions quite a bit. but i assume a bunch of Meters of Wire, to buy you some Distance would take care of most of that. Not actual advice regards Safety, just my opinion and what i did and how i would do it, as i said before (just to make sure), if you do Stupid stuff like that, do your own research and take your own precautions and Responsibility if you try to not get intentionally hurt.
 @ chrissie_c: if you want to get to try this but are afraid of the Matter, i think you could Try to start with some Small Perforated ones, these are fairly unimpressive and also really safe usually. Once you are comftable with that, you can try with small unperforated ones, working your way up in size. these 50V 1µF ones (first thing i found in my bin without perforated Tops) are Really cute, and still pack a nice Bang for their Size, must have been from some old PC-PSU or something. for anything much bigger absolutely keep like 3 to 5 Meters Distance at least on the First Tries, until you know how they behave.
 @ anyone Else, i feel like this would really be worth reshooting in a Proper setting with good Lights and more Time Put into it than the 90 Minutes i used here. will for sure make for some Interresting Looking Footage. But that Happens Fairly Fast, feel like 2000 to 5000 fps is about the Lowest that is Worth using here to get any meaningful footage Here. Make Sure to Watch those 19kfps Clips Frame By Frame on the Parts where it pops for best effect, and i would love to see anyone else who has a Try at this share as well! Have Fun!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:54:09 AM by Nikon1 »

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 02:43:11 AM »
Those are great thanks!, I'm definitely inspired to have a go now - maybe in Summer when the outside lighting doesn't need quite so much help :)

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 06:00:08 AM »
Also, situations involving cats and cucumbers probably would also look very interesting.

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 01:51:01 PM »
It's very hard to get cats to do anything when there's a camera running - as soon as I point a camera at either of my cats they curl up and go to sleep!

All those cat videos on YouTube - fake ;-)

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2022, 08:55:33 AM »
Re: Capacitors - it looks like the professionals beat me to it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WUxgmMDts4

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2022, 03:24:23 PM »
I indeed do wonder sometimes...?
 https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=521.msg3978#msg3978
 No idea if this is just some case like when a bunch of People all around the Globe Invent the Same Thing at about the Same Time for some Reason completely independently, or if they go around and look for ideas. Would be Cool either way, and if Gavin or Dan ever gets to come across this and Read this, greetings; but i kind of doubt that, because as far as i know, they record a Bunch of Videos In Advance and just release them over a fairly long time span, having a lot of Videos just Ready for Release laying around somewhere. So this could easily have been recorded even before we where Talking about it here or around the same time, but i am not sure, if they still do it like this, or if they now have a other workstyle/ Workflow. And i also have not been following their work and Videos too closely lately, so i wouldnt know.
 But as i guessed, that was very much

[...] worth reshooting in a Proper setting with good Lights and more Time Put into it than the 90 Minutes i used here. will for sure make for some Interresting Looking Footage. [...]

I am also fairly impressed how much of whats going on there is already kind of visible in the Low-Effort Shots with the Chronos i did post here. Of course not even a contest with that Beast of a Camera they are using there, just completely different world of Framerate and Resolution.
 Also Impressed to see how Fast the Hull is actually going there (120mph), and after seeing that, i will say that you most certainly dont want to get that thing or any of the Smaller glowing, red hot bits of Metal or other Fragments in your Eyes. Like i already said above, the Small ones would probably at least hurt a Fair bit from Some Distance on your Bare Skin, but would for sure permanently damage your Eyesight or even have you loose an eye on a direct hit from close Range.
 Regards Cats, i mean it would be quite naive to assume anything online is real and no video ever was staged, cause nobody ever did that...
 But to say that straight up all of these are just completely fake would also go a bit far.
 Now i Personally do not have a cat, hence the Request, cant even shoot that myself due to lack of cat, but have seen pets including cats do wild stuff.
 Getting that on Camera is a whole other challenge for sure, but i mean the camera has a Ring Buffer and a Post-Record-Trigger, so you could essentially just set it up, leave it running for half a day or longer if you liked to do so with a Power Supply, and eventually Trigger once anything happens.
 Also, some pets are just too calm for that maybe, idk, never had one, just seemd like something fun to shoot without any further knowledge about the Subject from my Side.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 04:03:40 PM by Nikon1 »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 04:00:40 PM »
Also while we are at it, lets put this here:
 Someone get hold of some crazy car people and Reshoot some of those:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hspem5l2DOU (Probably the best example, but still very hard to Make out what is happening besides the fairly obvious Wrinkles on the Side , overally to dark between tire and Ground, also not sure if that is actually 10kfps, or if they put a zero too much there?)
 https://youtu.be/rw3LE78gwhg?t=10
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXp2QgY1OB8
 https://youtu.be/lNjJaTt0hNw?t=46
 There are some Videos of these Extreme Tires on Extreme Cars, but most are fairly Wide Shots, and Closeups are usually old Videos with bad Resolution; While almost all of them are also fairly low Framerate as far Highspeed Cameras go, with a few exceptions; with just available Light, which is usually not ideal for these.
 So basically the Same thing, just better Lighting, Closer, and Higher Framerate (most of these are shot on Gopros or Phones from what i seen, get someone with a proper Camera and some Lights there, or at least a decent Size Reflector).
 Also not sure how Covid is doing regards these kinds of Racing-Events, or whatever the People with these Cars do meanwhile. I personally never seen any of those in person and wouldnt even know where to look for that, also dont have time to seek up something like that, maybe that is a America only Thing.
 Other Thing including Cars would be these absurdly Powerful Sound-Systems Flexing Cars around like if they are Rubber.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wgo41fU_OI
 On that Video in Particular i assume most of that is actually Rolling Shutter, which makes it look THAT extreme, but that is insane Anyways, that it even Flexes that much in the First Place. At least that one should not be too difficult to shoot and also result in nice Footage, given you could find something with some unusually Massive Woofers in his car.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 04:52:06 PM »
Things happening inside a DLP-Projector (3 Colors x 30fps would make for 90 Actions Per Second for a Single Chip Projector running on 30fps) would also be extremely interesting to see, but probably highly challenging to pull off, because of small size of the Micro-Mirrors (at least like 2x Magnification or way more needed to see much of anything here, for Closeups better use straight up Microscopy Lenses, like Tesla500 did with his Record Player Needle).
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_micromirror_device
 #EDIT:# They do actually way more Actions per Seconds, as they use basically HF-PWM for Pixel Brightness, Switching them On and Off VERY Quickly. Means, that should also be able to be seen on the Projected Image, no need to take one Apart... #/EDIT#
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 02:09:09 PM by Nikon1 »

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2022, 12:42:29 AM »
My cat comment was just a joke, sorry if that wasn't clear :)

I do have a couple of slow-mo cat videos which are quite nice but from early on when I first got the Chronos so not really worth sharing. Also one is rather disgusting when from the cat caught a mouse!

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2022, 02:28:15 PM »
Was Recently wondering if anyone ever did make some Kind of Fast-Motion / Slow Motion Type of Music-Video or something.
 While i am Aware of a bunch of Examples like:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdIP3hyxi3k
 Where they Speed up the Music Playback in Shooting or Slow it down, later change the Speed of the Footage to match the Original Song again, creating Some Interesting Effects and a Special Feeling to the Footage. Heard they also do things like that also with some Dance Performance Videos for Music, to make the Movements more "crisp" looking when Sped up later, but cant Quote Sources for that, and think they also just speed it up like 10 to 25% or something like that (pls. dont Quote me on that, cant recall wherever i got that Information from, and How accurate/ true it is?).
 In Terms of Fast Motion i seen this done to quite Extreme Extents, up to a point where it is basically just Stop-Motion Timelapse shooting single Still Frames at a time:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbMaGRUFjgc
 (Making of of that video:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-T3nwvLHJ0
 So Question is, does anyone know of something like this Done with some more Extreme Slow Motion (most of those Fast-Slow-Motion Music videos are probably shot around 60fps slowed down to 25fps if i had to guess, for the Slow Part), would like to see that.