Author Topic: Adding a timer to Chronos2.1 Recordings  (Read 6125 times)

lewisSPI

• View Profile
Adding a timer to Chronos2.1 Recordings
« on: January 27, 2022, 04:42:58 AM »
Apologies in advance for being a bit of a noob when it comes to Highspeed filming... Can I add a timer to video recordings on a Chronos2.1 like I have in the images attached?

We (The company I work for) rented a Photron Fastcam Mini AX from a company based in the UK and had such great results after reviewing the footage that we decided to invest in our own high speed camera. Our lead Electronics Engineer found the Krontech Chronos2.1 high speed camera which we purchased and received early Jan22. I have been using the camera to determine the time taken for a nozzle to dispense a single shot of fluid which would help us determine the speed in which we would be able to run our set-up. We have been able to lay videos side by side in the free PFV4 video editing software which allows us to give a great comparison between different set-ups.

Is there any way of uploading a clip from my Chronos2.1 into PFV4 to allow me to add these timings without ruining the quality of the video?

Alternatively is there any other method of adding a visual timer to your video clip that records in real time?

TIA  :)

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Adding a timer to Chronos2.1 Recordings
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 05:53:51 AM »
https://www.krontech.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/RE-PDEV-10009-Chronos-User-Manual-Full-Software-Version-0.7.0.pdf
 On Page 88 / 89 of the Cameras user Manual you can see the Option "Text Overlay" explained. This will add an Timestamp to each frame of your Footage when Saved as H.264 or TIFF Format.
 If you want to preserve the Original Quality of the Clip and not use Advanced Software (there is a lot of professional Editing Software that can Add a timer, but thats usually not super easy to just do for anyone who has not worked with such Software before. If you still want to, look up some Tutorials about it on YT, there are Plenty, else i can also Link some, if you dont know what to exactly search for); you could easily just enable the Timestamp Text Overlay, save your Footage once with the Overlay /Timestamp, and then disable the Overlay, and save again "clean" without Overlay.
 That would be a fairly simple way to do that in-camera, and even though it takes a bit of time to save everything twice, would probably still be faster or at least about as fast as having to edit each one of the Clips to add a Timer in An Editing Software, and then Also Render it.

lewisSPI

• View Profile
Re: Adding a timer to Chronos2.1 Recordings
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 06:24:30 AM »
Perfect, thank you!! 8)