Author Topic: USB-C ssd  (Read 5607 times)

jck

• View Profile
USB-C ssd
« on: January 28, 2022, 03:40:09 AM »
Hey guys,
Does anybody tried USB in eSATAp port to USB-C SSD or ESATA to USB-C cable for using USB-C SSD, as Samsung T5. If yes, how is the performance?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 04:55:22 AM by jck »

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: USB-C ssd
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 05:50:01 AM »
Hi, this Idea has already been discussed very recently here:
 https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=721.msg4991#msg4991
 I personally doubt it would work but have not tried.
 I assume most of these eSata to USB-C Cables are meant for using these Drive Enclosures and External Hard-Drives with eSATA Connector on them, which where somewhat Popular for a While, with Any Supported USB-C Host Device, and are probably all only usable in that direction. USB in general does work quite differently than Sata, and all thats happening here is probably some Integrated Chip into the Cable, that does just add an SATA Controller to the USB (-Bus). I dont see how that could be done to somehow make a Sata Port into an USB Port, but maybe there is a Way. If you know of any such Cable, that somehow Claims to allow to use an USB-C Drive on an eSATA Host Device or even work in both directions, please Put a Link here, otherwise i am almost sure, that will not work.
 If you want to use An USB-Storage Device, you can Still do that, as the eSATA port on the Chronos also doubles as USB Type A Connector, but performance will be lower than eSATA generally. eSATA is still the Fastest Way to write Footage from RAM to Permanent Storage on the Chronos 1.4 and 2.1.