Author Topic: Lens needed to film sports?  (Read 13265 times)

hutber

• View Profile
Lens needed to film sports?
« on: February 04, 2022, 02:36:52 AM »
Hey guys

I'm considering getting my first 2.1 but this would almost exclusively only for filming Football (soccer) in the UK under natural sunlight.

But I have my reservations that its possible to record players that might be 20m away, and have enough light in a lens.

I'm pretty excited by this prospective!

hutber

• View Profile
Re: Lens needed to film sports?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 02:51:14 AM »
Interestingly I didn't know about the points you have made here:
https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=501.msg2803#msg2803

So some lens will get a black border if on 1000fps at HD res. Scary lol

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 08:01:55 AM »
I filmed some slow-mo cricket (no comments please :-) using a 200mm Nikon Lens and it worked pretty well. That's equivalent to 400mm in old money so quite a useful length. It does need to be a very sunny day to use a lens of that length, so with football you might find the weather is less amenable. Maybe a speedbooster would help with that.

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 08:04:12 AM »
Amazing thank you pal!

What is a speed booster :D?

I would love to see some of the footage if you had it readily available!

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 07:02:26 AM »
I don't have any of those shots to hand, I'll have a look though! I lost a few slowmos in a drive crash a few months ago so I have a horrible feeling they were a victim of that.

Speed boosters are a way of getting more light out of a lens that covers a larger area than your camera sensor. If you get a full-frame lens (I tend to get old Nikon ones on ebay - they're relatively cheap, especially if you find one with a broken auto-focus as I did once) then they cover twice the area of the Chronos sensor - which is half-frame (micro 4/3 size). What a speed booster does (I THINK), is to channel that extra light, that would normally be lost around the outside of the 4/3 sensor, into the sensor so you get more than the advertised f-number of the lens.

Someone might come along with a better explanation, but thats my understanding at least.

Slow motion uses a LOT of light so the more you can get out of a lens, the better. I don't use speed boosters myself, partly because they are expensive and mainly because I mostly use the Chronos indoors or the back garden (where I can use lights) or on sunny days.

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 07:05:42 AM »
BTW don't worry too much about that forum post. They're talking about C mount lenses there which tend to be for much smaller sensors than the 2.1. My advice (for what it's worth) is to use the Nikon mount that comes with the camera and use SLR lenses. That way they will always cover the sensor, usually with some to spare - hence speedboosters.

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 04:10:16 PM »
Interesting!! Thank you very very much :)
So in a way, just buy and play? But opt for manual f-stops?

chrissie_c

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 12:53:11 AM »
> So in a way, just buy and play? But opt for manual f-stops?

In my case yes. The Chronos is a totally manual camera, so you don't have the option here - There no auto focus and no auto exposure.

Not sure if it's any help, but I found some outside footage, it's not sports (sorry) but was of a subject around 20m away :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o4dyruyryo

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 01:06:19 AM »
Oh hell ye that is nice!! That has been the main thing I am worrying about truth be told. Distance shots :D Thanks

hutber

• View Profile

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 07:51:25 AM »
I've been looking around now for some speed boosters and I'm guessing I need Nikon to C-Mount for it? However, in a way it makes no sense as I cannot find any to C-Mount :)

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 08:35:43 AM »
There are no Speedboosters with C-Mount. You need to go with MFT Mount on the Camera Side and Whatever fits the Lenses you plan on Mounting on the Other Side.

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 08:40:41 AM »
Ahh ok, great. So its Lens > speed boaster > c-mount adaptor basically. Must more clear thank you!

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 08:52:15 AM »
Ahh ok, great. So its Lens > speed boaster > c-mount adaptor basically. Must more clear thank you!

Not Quite right. But almost.
 While you can kind of do that, and Adapters for that do in Fact exist:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeM7cTJuSm4
 https://rafcamera.com/adapter-mft-to-cs-mount
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxkxCpFMPfs
 I would Highly recommend to use A Interchangeable Mount for the Chronos like a MFT-Mount, as that is just way more Reliable, mechanically Stable and User-Friendly.
 Krontech offers one for sale, some users including me made their own Designs, and i also posted a bunch of Stuff on the Forum to either Build yourself one to 3D-Print (Parts for the Published Design are not available anymore, but you should be able to modify that to whatever Parts you can find on Ebay) or to Make a custom Spacer for the Metabones Speedbooster (posted in the Same Thread, but never finished Posting that one, only about half way done, will finish posting that, if anyone asks me to).

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 02:15:12 PM »
Ahh you are very informative for me, thank you!

I did not realise there was a CS-Mount. So Ideally I would buy this mount you have linked, and then buy this adaptor https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotodiox-Adapter-Compatible-F-Mount-CS-Mount/dp/B07VDM5CQP/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2OAMY4DP71R27&keywords=nikon+to+CS-mount&qid=1644358081&sprefix=nikon+to+cs-mount%2Caps%2C75&sr=8-3 for my Nikon lens I already have.

Ok, so a Metabones Speedbooster... they aren't cheap haha. I feel a little bit like I'm trending on water right now, with my lack of knowledge. But I guess, people like you are helping me find my feet.

I imagine I'll be buying things and returning them when I realise they are wrong for me.