Author Topic: SSD Will the speed of the drive make saving faster?  (Read 8316 times)

hutber

• View Profile
SSD Will the speed of the drive make saving faster?
« on: February 09, 2022, 12:03:43 PM »
I imagine the limiting factor here is actually the cable, but I am wondering, will it make saving videos faster buying a samsung 870 QVO or just a cheaper SanDisk Ultra drive as supplied in the Kron shop?

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: SSD Will the speed of the drive make saving faster?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 12:08:49 PM »
I imagine the limiting factor here is actually the cable, [...]

This has been discussed on this Forum a bunch already in various Threads, feel free to use the Search option of the Forum.
 Most recent Discussion about this can be found here:
 https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=721.0
 (Spoiler: It is not!)

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 11:59:07 AM »
Ah! Thank you.
I don't want to complain too much :p But I did spend around 6 different search terms trying to find the answer for it :)
I also cannot find anything on "change iso" which I would like to know how to.

mklinger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 12:10:46 PM »
Ah! Thank you.
I don't want to complain too much :p But I did spend around 6 different search terms trying to find the answer for it :)

The Chronos uses "gain" instead of ISO nomenclature.  The base ISO of a color Chronos 2.1 is roughly 500 which corresponds to 0dB gain.  If you select 6dB of analog gain, it's like changing the ISO to 1000.  12dB = 2000, etc.  The base ISO of the monochrome Chronos 2.1 is around 1000, so almost twice the sensitivity.

I believe, but I'm not 100% sure, that digital gain is just adjusting the exposure curves and doesn't do anything to the sensor readout and it'd be the same as doing it yourself in post.

If at all possible, try to stay at 0dB gain for best quality, which usually means tons of light.  6dB and 12dB have become much more usable with the latest firmware, but there are quality tradeoffs.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 12:12:44 PM by mklinger »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 12:12:07 PM »

ok, good to know you at least tried, might be hard to find.
 you probably wont find anything on "ISO" as the Setting for Light Sensitivity on this camera is labeled as "Gain".
 There Is a Analog Gain Setting and a Digital Gain Setting, both go from 0 to 24 dB in Steps of 6dB, where a 6dB step is about equivalent to a Full Exposure Stop (like doubling ISO number for example from 100 to 200 would be about same as 6dB more Gain). Doesnt perfectly line up always to give an Actual 1 Stop brighter Image though, so watch out for that.
 0dB on Both would be native "ISO" / Base Gain, and both of those Settings add up to give the final Sensitivity.
 Analog Gain does actually Raise some kind of Voltage (Hardware) on the Sensor or in the Signal Processing Pipeline that comes After to give a Brighter Image, Digital Gain does just Digitally amplify the Signal somewhere later down the Line, similar to what you would do in Editing when Raising Exposure.
 For more detailed Info look at the User Manual Page 68 to 70:
 https://www.krontech.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/RE-PDEV-10009-Chronos-User-Manual-Full-Software-Version-0.7.0.pdf

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 01:02:59 PM »
Brilliant answers from the both of you. Very much appreciated! I feel silly for not seeing these earlier and playing with them :D Its nice to understand how both of these work. Which is great!