Author Topic: SSD not powering on  (Read 5801 times)

hutber

• View Profile
SSD not powering on
« on: February 11, 2022, 08:28:07 AM »
Hey guys. I'm fairly sure nothing I'm doing is overtly wrong and I have spent around 5 mins searching but cannot find anybody else having issues with their SSD power wise.

So I have a esatap cable and it's plugged in. I can't imagine what else I would need?

Cheers again

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: SSD not powering on
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 01:01:05 PM »
If you can confirm, that the drive itself is working properly, try plugging it in, after the Camera is fully booted (Had Problems with both HDMI and Ethernet when something was plugged in before the Camera was booted, so i would not be Surprised, if something similar could happen with eSATA. Had no issues with that myself so far, but you can never know).
 If that still does not work, i would try replacing that Cable, maybe that is broken (unless you have a way to test that, and make sure it works, like an PC that has a eSATAp Port somewhere to plug it in and Check).

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 11:22:15 PM »
[...]
 (Had Problems with both HDMI and Ethernet when something was plugged in before the Camera was booted, so i would not be Surprised, if something similar could happen with eSATA. Had no issues with that myself so far, but you can never know). [...]

Here is the Link to that btw., Only about HDMI though. Never specifically wrote much if any about the Ethernet here on the Forum, Issue mostly is that the Camera just will not Boot up, if Ethernet is Plugged in, like it tries to boot from Network, but cant find anything to actually boot from and then just waits.
 https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=671.0

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 01:40:53 AM »
Thank you Nikon1. I read this on my way to football and actually tested everything out. The drive is perfectly fine formatted to FAT32. And works when connecting to the esta via USB to the machine. BUt not when trying esata cable I bought for the drive. So all things point to the cable. I have ordered 2 new cables from different companies just to try and cover my bridges :D

But its very reassuring to know its a "known" issue.

https://youtu.be/kWBpjbjcBIw Footage from yesterday! First time using so have allot to be desired. But man... what a camera. Dreams are starting to come true!

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 01:49:01 AM »
Apart from that weird color Flickering mid video which i dont know, where that would come from, that is pretty decent footage for your first shots with it!

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 02:46:10 AM »
Thank you pal!!

Ye I noticed that but thought... It's too late to inspect it. As it really does take away from the magic!!

I need to sort out the white balance. Difficult I find it

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 02:32:31 PM »
So embarrassingly it turns out, it was detecting the drive. But it does not automatically detect and set the save location. So it was still trying to save to the SD Card. So I had it saving to the SSD drive, though it took 3:09 to save 11s of footage to it. Now I cannot get it to save back onto the SD for me to time test the differences. But I will keep playing :D

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 01:28:32 AM »
For anybody else having the issue, mine was simply that I was not selecting the SSD as the "save location" inside "Play > Settings > Save Location"

Thanks for your help Nikon though!