Author Topic: SSD gets 60fps while saving.  (Read 6249 times)

hutber

• View Profile
SSD gets 60fps while saving.
« on: February 14, 2022, 01:30:19 AM »
I am just wondering if 60fps @ 1000fps for the SSD is normal? I ask because I get the exact same fps whilst saving on the SD card as I do when saving to the SSD drive.

Reading here some people can experience up to 240fps while saving? https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=447.msg2344#msg2344
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 01:50:52 AM by hutber »

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: SSD gets 60fps while saving.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 05:59:28 AM »
[...] At smaller resolutions this can go as high as 250fps before the h.264 video encoder starts to drop frames, so the the software limits the video port to 230fps at all resolutions when saving. [...]

Depends a lot on resolution. Also, guessing from the Rate you are Saving Frames at, and assuming 1000fps would mean full Resolution 1920x1080 Shots from the 2.1; you are saving compressed h.264 Format. For H.264 there is hardly any difference in Save speed, as the Main "Bottleneck" in this case is the Cameras Processing power and other things pure Connection Speed cant make up for.
 Things will look quite a bit different if you try to save High Resolution DNG Format Shots to SD and SSD Memory. Try shooting Something in Full 1920x1080 Resolution (Framerate this Footage is Captured at does actually not affect much in this case, 100 Frames will Still be 100 Frames to Save, no matter in which amount of Time The Camera Recorded those), and Save the Same Length clip in DNG Format to SSD and SD card, then compare how long it took to finish. Thats where you get a Benefit from using SSD Storage, apart from the Bigger Memory Size on a single Disk. For H.264 there is actually not much of a reason to bother with SSDs.
 As i already tried to explain here:
 https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=737.msg5071#msg5071
 The Camera is actually ready to Shoot out of the Box (apart from missing a Lens and a Way to mount that to it still), and for very Basic operation to just get Footage, its fine to save in H.264 and use SD Cards, as Saving Compressed Footage is a lot faster, and its just about as fast to save that to SD card.
 Anyone using this Camera Professionally and trying to get the best possible Image Quality from it, would however usually want to use DNG Format, unless you cant afford the Additional Time, that will take to save.
 And for DNG Footage, you will see a very Clear Difference in Save Speed from the SSD.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 06:02:46 AM by Nikon1 »