Author Topic: Active MFT Mount  (Read 5152 times)

Nikon1

• View Profile
Active MFT Mount
« on: March 18, 2022, 03:06:00 PM »
Anyone Interested in any development Efforts towards building a Active MFT- or other Mirrorless Mount for the Chronos Cameras?
 Meaning any kind of Mount that would allow for Electronic Communication With Lenses that need to, for them to properly work (for example Focus By Wire MFT- or Sony Lenses).

chrissie_c

• View Profile
Re: Active MFT Mount
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 03:42:31 AM »
Provisionally. But given the price of the passive one, and my collection of Nikon-fit lenses now, I'm not sure it would be worth a lot to me.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 10:50:20 AM »
So, some playing around with this later, it proves to be fairly difficult to get contact Pins in there, as the Whole assembly needs to be VERY low Profile to properly fit a MFT Lens.
 Main challenge seems to be to make custom Springs. I already tried to contact a bunch of Companies around here, to get some thin Brass Foil laser-cut for that, but cutting Metal foil of any kind in a thickness between 0.02mm and 0.4mm seems to be really difficult to do. Nobody wants to do that it seems.
 Milling that thin kind of Material also seems pretty unreasonable, especially if i for whatever Reason wanted some Small Features or Sharp inside Corners on the Parts, also Workholding is challenging.
 Question now is, does anybody here know anyone who can cut Thin Metal Foil precisely and Preferably affordable anywhere here in Germany or at least within Europe?
 Laser Cutting seems like the Way to go for this, but if anybody got better ideas, i would be more than happy to hear them!

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 01:26:49 PM »
Randomly had the Idea to go through the about Dozen Panasonic Cameras which i Slaughtered for MFT-Mounts (all different models, so i have quite the Selection) and just throw some of the Names / Numbers that are Printed onto the Microcontroller on the Mainboards into a Search Engine, to see what would come up.
 Some time Later, i ended up on this Site Here:
 https://photo-parts.com.ua/parts/dbphp.php?part=DM
 That is surely a Interesting List of Chips they have there.
 After some Further Poking around in the WWW with some of the Chip Numbers from the "Zoom Driver" Column of the Panasonic Cameras, i ended up at that Product Description Page:
 https://www.renesas.com/us/en/document/fly/lens-motor-driver-camera-solution-lens-motor-driver-oisr2j30516mlg?language=en&r=532816
 Now i am far from the Sharpest Guy if it comes to Micro Controllers and more Complex Chips like that, especially for Signal Processing of any kind, but if i am not completely stupid, this seems like basically a chip that pretty much handles any Communication via the MFT-Mount of these Cameras? Sure, they have a bunch of Resistors there on the Board before it actually connects to the Contacts of the MFT-Mount, but that Part should be Pretty easy to figure out, when someone can get hold of a Full Datasheet or something (which seems seriously hard to find for all of these Actually interesting Chips inside those Cameras, for Reasons someone would probably able to guess), and a good look at a Few of those Mainboards.
 Someone Smarter than me please have a good look at this and Possibly even try to find some Full Datasheet / Specification for any of these "Lens Motor Driver" Chips somewhere, and tell me if it actually is, what i think it is. From what i understand, that Chip, if connected Correctly, should be able to take Care of most/ all of the Communication that is happening between a MFT-Camera and Lens, while basically taking Care of Image Stabilization on its own as well as Providing some known State of Lens Focus, Zoom and Iris Setting which it will update with the Lens. There Should then probably be some Pretty easy way to talk to this Chip, and giving it Instructions to Change Aperture and Iris Settings at Need (maybe even Zoom for the Lenses that can do that.) in some Kind of Signal Language that is way easier to figure out (should most likely be well documented in the Full Datasheet...?); than Actually Reverse-Engineering the Entire MFT-Protocoll from Scratch to then later somehow do all of what that chip does already...
 [ https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=685.msg4670#msg4670 ]