Author Topic: Can you record audio?  (Read 4675 times)

hutber

• View Profile
Can you record audio?
« on: March 30, 2022, 08:47:25 AM »
I assume according to the manual that we still cannot recore audio? I only ask, because I have been looking around and it seems some older threads mention being able to record audio?

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Can you record audio?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 08:56:23 AM »
With 60fps Live Record Mode you can Record Audio on the current version of Firmware.
 I dont exactly know how long thats been there, but recently accidentally had Live Record Mode on, and checked the File, it does indeed record some Audio.
 Internal Mic Level is low, and also the Fan Noise usually is so loud (on mine not so much, as i replaced the Stock Fan With A much more Silent Noctua one, so even on the Internal Mic you can somewhat make out what is Happening and even hear Normal Level Conversations a bit away) that you can make out almost nothing of the Sound you are Trying to Record, except Loud Screaming and other Extremely loud Noises, and any External Signal fed into the Camera via the 3,5mm Jack needs to be Pre-Amplified, just Plugging in a Standard Microphone like on your Headset wont work. You will need some Kind of Pre-Amp or a Line-Out Signal. Camera has, from what i can tell also no built-In Audio-Level Metering, so beware of Clipping, and Run some tests as to what kind of Signal-Level the Camera wants to have to record Usable Audio (and Maybe even Consider Sharing Results, if you do).

hutber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 09:04:02 AM »
Ahhh interesting indeed. I've a Rode external mic with a pre-amp. So I guess it should be "ok". So I could do live 60fps... though I dislike the lag that creates, I can't remember where though lol maybe when moving from save mode to the live preview. I am not sure. Humm I would mostly be recording sports so the audio isn't really a must, but interesting still to test.

Now... custom fan you say... You have peaked my interest there :D

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 09:06:59 AM »
Ahhh interesting indeed. I've a Rode external mic with a pre-amp. So I guess it should be "ok". So I could do live 60fps... though I dislike the lag that creates, I can't remember where though lol maybe when moving from save mode to the live preview. I am not sure. Humm I would mostly be recording sports so the audio isn't really a must, but interesting still to test.

Now... custom fan you say... You have peaked my interest there :D
https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=611.0
 I actually finally Managed to do a Noise-Comparison (or rather got clkdiv to do one) against a unmodified one, and was about to post that sometime soon, if you are interrested, i can just upload it right now, Let me Know.