Author Topic: Noisy image from sensor pattern?  (Read 4843 times)

vimaxmedia

• View Profile
Noisy image from sensor pattern?
« on: June 07, 2022, 07:14:23 AM »
review this footage: https://vimeo.com/vimaxmedia/review/717910888/a5967ffdc4

I am fighting with getting a clean image from our Chronos 2.1. This latest clip has 3 Aputure lights, 300X top down (lightbox), Nova P300 key light and C300DII backlight all at 100%. Shutter was at 270° shot at 720fps. This shot is using Canon 70-200 L, but I have shot other clips with 30 -105 Canon Cinema Lens, Canon 50mm 1.2, Canon 24-70L and Sigma 24-70 2.8 all with similar results.

I always get this noise pattern in the image. Black calibration has zero effect. Not happy with the Chroma noise either but I could live with it. Its just annoying that my cellphone gets a cleaner image at 900 fps than this camera with good glass. Please tell me I am just doing something wrong or missing a setup step.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 08:41:49 AM by vimaxmedia »

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Noisy image from sensor pattern?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 02:12:52 PM »
What you experiencing is known as Fixed Noise Pattern and is sadly a very common Problem with the 2.1 Cameras and some other highspeed-Cameras as Well (yes, even on Top-End Phantom Cameras in Bad Conditions, see for example: https://youtu.be/qi_ksADDF4E?t=378 ).
 Main thing you can do against it is to make sure to use the Latest Firmware available, as Krontech is always working on improving that issue as good as Possible, also to use lowest possible Gain setting. For what you apparently try to do, to shoot High-Quality Commercial Grade Footage / Professional Studio-Footage, shooting at 0dB Gain Analog and 0dB Gain Digital is highly recommended for best possible image Quality!
 Now, you havent Shared any Aperture Settings, Firmware Version; or Gain Settings for your Shot(-s), but I very much assume, that one of those or a Combination of those are the Cause of the Noisy image (likely also Lighting).
 In Summary, you probably still need more Light, or need to use a much Faster Aperture Setting than you use Currently (if even possible).
 Highspeed-Video is sadly like this, you have some Wicked Amount of Light, which you are pretty much certain HAS TO BE enough, but usually still is by far not bright enough.
 Cant quite make out what power the Aputure Lights are, and whatever the 300X Lamps power is (probably 300W as it has 300 in the name?), but seems like you are using at least 1000W of LED Power or more here. However, especially Soft Lighting requires Insane Amounts of Power for Highspeed-Shooting.
 So depending on how much you really want to pull off Soft Lighting for your Shot, either add a Ton more Power to your Lighting Setup, or find a Way to use Less Diffusion and more directed Light and still have it look good enough somehow ( you can very much light a Shot like this with the Amount of Power you have available, but diffusion eats up so much power here, so making it look that nice and soft will likely be pretty hard. When in Doubt or if nothing else works, try to use bright Mid-Day Summer Sunlight with Reflectors/ Diffusion for a Cheap, Very high Power Light Source, if soft Lighting is a Must and Budget wont allow for Getting a Truck full of High-Power LED-Studio-Lights...).
 That for now is about as much help as i can provide from the Infos you have given.

vimaxmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 05:42:20 PM »
I seemed to have solved my issue.  I have added 2 other lights into the mix and performed a column gain calibration. I'm running 0.7 firmware. I never add gain because I know it adds noise.

https://vimeo.com/vimaxmedia/review/718088163/f09a154a21
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 07:00:57 AM by vimaxmedia »

B.H.V

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 07:31:59 PM »
review this footage: https://vimeo.com/vimaxmedia/review/717910888/a5967ffdc4

I am fighting with getting a clean image from our Chronos 2.1. This latest clip has 3 Aputure lights, 300X top down (lightbox), Nova P300 key light and C300DII backlight all at 100%. Shutter was at 270° shot at 720fps. This shot is using Canon 70-200 L, but I have shot other clips with 30 -105 Canon Cinema Lens, Canon 50mm 1.2, Canon 24-70L and Sigma 24-70 2.8 all with similar results.

I always get this noise pattern in the image. Black calibration has zero effect. Not happy with the Chroma noise either but I could live with it. Its just annoying that my cellphone gets a cleaner image at 900 fps than this camera with good glass. Please tell me I am just doing something wrong or missing a setup step.

What phone do you have that does 900 fps? Huawei Mate 30 Pro or Huawei P40 Pro?