Author Topic: V-Mount battery with ikan V-Mount Battery Plate  (Read 7308 times)

high amazon man

• View Profile
V-Mount battery with ikan V-Mount Battery Plate
« on: November 06, 2022, 09:15:13 PM »
Hi everybody,

Just got my first Chronos 2.1.
I spend long seasons in the Peruvian rainforest, I carry loads of V-mount batteries.
I need to power the Chronos with those V-mounts.
In order to do so, I bought the IKAN V-mount battery plate (comes with 15mm rod clamp, reference: BH #IKSTRPWRPLTV • MFR #STR-PWR-PLATE-V). It supposedly delivers the right power for the Chronos. It is (theoretically) an alternative to the Global Media Pro plate, which I couldn't buy from my end of the line.

Question 1: Has anyone used this IKAN plate or know about it?

Question 2 (provided the plate works): How do I connect it to the Chronos? What's the exact name of the cable I must order? It's a D-tap to ... (what?)

In case anyone made it this far: thanks for your (biblical) patience,

Dan

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: V-Mount battery with ikan V-Mount Battery Plate
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 12:21:08 AM »
Didnt Know that IKAN Plate existed, but as far as i can tell, that is looking like the EXACT same Product, with the Exception, that the IKAN one comes with that Rod Clamp and a Sticker. There is even a Spot on the Globalmedia-Pro one i own, where the Exact same Size Yellow Sticker would fit, and a Area of Solid Material in the Back of the Plate, where you could easily Drill to Mount the Plate. If you want, i can Post Images of the PCB inside for Comparison, i am Fairly certain That these are Likely made by the Same Company or at least in the Same Factory.
 The Cable you need is a D-Tap to 5.5 x 2.5mm Barrel Jack Adapter Cable. Here are two Examples on German Ebay:
 https://www.ebay.de/itm/385207128781
 https://www.ebay.de/itm/324734192393
 There are Plenty different Styles of those, with Straight Plugs or angled ones, coiled or Straight Cable and Different length, choose whichever fits the needs of your Rig the Best.
 Only Important thing is to make sure that it delivers Positive Voltage on the Inside And Negative Voltage on the Outside Barrel of the Barrel Plug.
 If it does not, you can usually just open the D-Tap Plug with a single Screw and turn the Insides around to change Polarity.
 Should however come with the Correct Polarity by default, but still check it before Plugging it in!
 Another Thing to note is, that this Adapter Plate can only Provide 2A at 19V; and the Chronos as Specified by the Datasheet technically needs 2.1A.
 If you Run the Camera without an Internal Battery, this can and usually will cause the Camera to shut off at Random sometimes, especially when stuff like HDMI, Ethernet or External Drives are Plugged in. I Assume, that the Camera can Sometimes Draw more than 2.1A of current for a Brief Moment, and that Triggers some Kind of Over-current Protection inside the Adapter Plate.
 Solution to this is, to always run the Camera with the internal Battery in the Camera.
 That way, you can also Hot-Swap the V-Mount Batteries, as the Internal Battery will power the Camera for the Time you Swap V-Mount Batteries.

high amazon man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 03:11:41 AM »
Dear Nikon 1,

Thanks for your quick, kind and useful answer!
One last question, if I may, and excuse my ignorance: how do I check if a cable "delivers Positive Voltage on the Inside And Negative Voltage on the Outside Barrel of the Barrel Plug".

Thanks again, I celebrate the fact that this community exists!

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 03:21:24 AM »
Use a Multimeter to Check that.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimeter
 Cheapest ones can usually be had for 5 to 10 € / USD; and if you ask around, one of your Friends or Family likely already has one somewhere, especially if they have to Do with Computers or other Electronics.
 Else just buy a cheap Digital one that is able to measure Voltage up to 20 Volts or more and you are good to go.
 How you would find out, if Polarity is correct, is to hold the Red Probe connected to the Red Terminal on the Multimeter up to the Contacts on the Inside of the Barrel Jack of the Adapter Cable (its usually also Indicated by a + Sign on the Multimeter to Label the Positive Terminal) and the Black or "-" Cable to the Outside.
 Set the Multimeter to Measure Voltage up to the Next highest available Range greater than 20 volts (if different ones where available, else just set it to Measure Voltage).
 If The Multimeter then shows a Positive Value of somewhere around 19V its good to Plug in.
 Otherwise if Polarity of the Cable is Wrong, a Negative Number / Value should show up on the Screen of the Multimeter.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 03:23:14 AM by Nikon1 »

high amazon man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 05:12:46 AM »
That was sweet. Thanks for the education!!

high amazon man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 05:27:59 AM »
Dear Nikon 1,

My german friend says these two options are available straight away, may you take a look at them and tell if they will do the job?

Option 1: https://www.fotichaestli.ch/d-tap-dc-spiralkabel-fuer-dslr-rig-v-mount/

Option 2: https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/smallrig-power-cable-kabel-digitalkamera-zubehoer-12281215?gclsrc=aw.ds

Will either of these two work?

Thanks again, I already owe you a beer.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 01:52:25 PM »
Yes, both of these will work, but i personally would highly prefer the one with the Angle Plug on the Side Of the Barrel-Jack Connector, as a Straight Plug is just extremely Annoying sticking out of the Camera on the Side that Far (just my Opinion btw.).
 But yes, in terms of Powering the Camera from the V-Mount Adapter Plate, both Cables will do that.
 Buy which ever fits your Personal Preference.

high amazon man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 06:23:49 PM »
Thanks brother! You are the best!