Author Topic: Not able to control camera over USB  (Read 4699 times)

rdoctor1

• View Profile
Not able to control camera over USB
« on: January 25, 2023, 02:26:49 PM »
I am trying to control my Chronos 1.4 with release version 0.7.2 (0.7.012) over USB via the standard webpage. While the computer detects the device is there, when I try to go to the webpage it doesn't show up. This has happened on 2 computers (one desktop running Windows 10 Pro 21H2, one laptop running Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2). I don't think any of the hardware is broken, as I've found one computer that it does work with (an old laptop running MacOS 10.13.6) - I suspect it's a software problem. I also don't think the problem is the browser - It doesn't work on recent Chrome, Firefox, or Edge versions on the Windows computers. The problem also doesn't seem to be the firewall or other security - trying to do it disconnected from the internet with all firewall and security turned off it still doesn't connect. Unfortunately, I really need it to work on the desktop that it doesn't work with.

This topic appears to be the same as a forum topic a while ago "USB otg Ethernet support" which was never solved (https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=728.0). My best guess so far is that either the camera isn't able to connect to recent browsers/Windows versions or that the camera is somehow misconfigured to not work with Windows or something.

Further troubleshooting info: When connecting to my Windows computer, it gives the messages "Setting up RNDIS/Ethernet gadget" and then something like "USB Serial Device Com7 set up". When trying to connect, Chrome gives either the message "This site can't be reached" or "No internet" depending on whether I'm connected to the internet.

Thanks in advance for the help!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 02:35:51 PM by rdoctor1 »

rdoctor1

• View Profile
Re: Not able to control camera over USB
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 10:51:43 AM »
After a lot of frustrating searching, I figured out the problem. It was that although the RNDIS driver necessary for use on a Windows computer was installed, Windows didn't think that it was the correct driver and wouldn't let me switch to it via updating the driver. There was an update in Windows optional updates, subsection driver updates, titled "Acer Incorporated. - Other hardware - USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget". When I installed this, it stopped reading the camera as a USB COM device and started reading it as a network adapter, which allowed it to use the RNDIS driver. I think this might have been a problem introduced with post-2020ish Windows 10 releases, since that's when all of the other people that I found on the internet having similar problems were talking.

TL;DR: there was an optional Windows update that made it work even when updating the driver didn't.