Author Topic: High-speed spectroscopy  (Read 5727 times)

smoof

• View Profile
High-speed spectroscopy
« on: February 14, 2023, 11:09:17 PM »
Hello,

would the Chronos be suitable for high-speed spectroscopy, like Raman?

Sure, the LUX2100 has lower QE and higher read noise (10x) than typical (high-end) EMCCD or sCMOS cameras used for this application, but if I could take >10'000 spectra per second... Uff, that would be something.

Best regards

P.S. Would cooling the CCD increase the Chronos specs?

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: High-speed spectroscopy
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 05:54:49 AM »
A Quick Search brought up nothing Useful, and i dont know much about Spectroscopy, could you Share some Link, where Actual Equipment used for this is shown, as well as a Short, good Summary of the Working Principle of that Process?
 As Far as Cooling the Sensor goes, that wont do anything to the Specifications of the Camera.
 Only thing you would in theory get out of cooling the Sensor (i am Currently about to test that), is Lower Noise and Higher Light Sensitivity / Better Dynamic Range.
 Other than that, the Throughput of the Camera is fixed and Cant be Changed without messing with internal Clock speeds and Modifying Firmware and so on.
 But you wont gain much Speed from that, at best a few Percent, while most Likely Sacrificing a lot of Stability of the Whole Camera. Meaning Way more Crashes/ Freezes or all Kinds of Image Defects and Glitches in the Footage.
 So, no. Cooling the Sensor and Overclocking is most likely not worth the Effort for what you are trying to do (I dont know how much Image Quality and Sensitivity / Noise matters for you, but since you brought it up in your Question, i assume its probably relevant. For that, you might get a Benefit from Cooling, but not for bare Pixels per Second Performance).