Author Topic: Adapting other lenses to C-mount  (Read 13699 times)

Martin

• View Profile
Adapting other lenses to C-mount
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:10:15 AM »
Greetings from germany  :)

I was wondering: Did any of you ever encounter a C-mount (body) to Sony E-mount (lens) adapter?
Liks this one for a Nikon lens (which I already have):
http://www.photosale.ru/upload/iblock/a86/a86dd7be0c23b1da5164cefbe3e7bd8f.jpg

If not, since there is a C-mount to Sony A-mount adapter by Fotodiox, are there simple adapter "rings" out there, which only "switch" bayonets from E to A-mount?
Something like this maybe: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41a6ak5x4GL.jpg
So that my "adapter chain" would look like this:
Kronos - C-mount (body) to A-mount (lens) - bayonet switch from A-mount to E-Mount - E-Mount lens  ;D

OR would it be possible to simply refit an E-Mount bayonet to my C-mount to Nikon adapter? Anyone ever tried that? Easy? Fogettaboutit?

I already searched quite a while yesterday and know there are no direct C-mount to E-mount adapters by the big names (metabone, novoflex, K&F, thorlabs, fotodiox, quenox, vello, kipon, kenko, etc) so, Obi Wan, you're my only hope  :D

Thanks for any help!!
All the best
Martin

PS: Attached the example pics now as well, if they should move in the interwebs.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:13:38 AM by Martin »

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
Re: Adapting other lenses to C-mount
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »
After a short search I found the opposite, a C to E adapter:

https://www.amazon.ca/Fotodiox-Adapter-C-Mount-mount-Mirrorless/dp/B003Y32238

This leads me to believe it's not possible to make an E to C adapter, the flange focal distance of E mount lenses is too small for this to be physically possible. An E to CS adapter may be possible, but I don't see anyone making that.

David

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 01:16:12 AM »
Never saw one...

Herzliche Grüße aus dem Schwarzwald!

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »
Thank you  David, for checking  :)

I ordered this for now:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01KFNDGK2

It's just the bayonet, a "copy" ("solid copper" underneath, we'll see..) of the more expensive Fotodiox "Tough E-mount":

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/snye-toughe-p-se15-lt

If this won't fit at all on my Nik-C adapter, the experiment wasn't too expensive and the e-mount lens will go back to the (local) shop.
(I already have the 10-18mm lens by Sony for my a6000.)

For anyone wondering why the heck I would want such an adapter:
It's for the Samyang 12mm F2, an APS-C lens for e-mount, which "should" be nice on the Kronos, but only if it fits.
The lens seems to be only available for Sony E, Fuji X, Canon M and Micro 4/3. Oh and Samsung NX ;)

All the best!
Martin

PS: @ Fyodor: Viele Gruesse zurueck aus dem Saarland!  :D
Schoen mal einen der 18(?) deutschen Kickstarter Backer zu "orten" :)

(Greetings right back from Saarland. It's nice to find one of 18(?) kickstarter backers from germany)

thebishop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 02:00:21 PM »
Hi Martin,

Just fyi i went with a fotodiox EF adapter and the
Samyang 14mm T3,1 ED AS IF UMC II VDSLR lenses - works great and is a “normal” focal length.

Cheers,

Joakim

AimedResearch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:45:09 PM »
Martin,

I'm not familiar with the Sony lenses but if you don't need any electronic controls, I think I can make you one.  Just hunt down a physical drawing of the mount for me and I'll tackle a prototype grade mount. I've already made a few Micro Four Thirds mounts - or at least dedicated speedbooster mounts.  The mount you are looking for is not much different on the distance.

Just reach out to me at Aimed Research and we'll work on something together in our spare time.

-Nathan

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 06:14:14 PM »
Just fyi i went with a fotodiox EF adapter and the
Samyang 14mm T3,1 ED AS IF UMC II VDSLR lenses - works great and is a “normal” focal length.

Hey :)
Nice, I bet that lens is sharp as well! :D  AND You can get really close..
I've been testing a few Nikon lenses again but e.g. with the 85mm f1.8, sometimes, I sit 2-3 meters away from the event  :(
(but it's soo much sharper wide open, than the 50mm f1.4)

All the best! :)

I'm not familiar with the Sony lenses but if you don't need any electronic controls, I think I can make you one.
Just hunt down a physical drawing of the mount for me and I'll tackle a prototype grade mount.

:o :o :o
 :D :D :D

Thank you very much for the kind offer!! I'm kinda speechless :)

I was a bit bummed out to learn that there were no adapters for that configuration, but I kept the lens and my next step would have been to ask every manufacturer if something like that is in the pipeline or could be made on special order..

Then there's Nathan  :D

I will try mailing the companies first, I guess..
MAYBE, I'll get lucky with one of them, which would be the easiest, most "painless" option, but I'll start hunting for those e-mount specs as well and keep you informed, progress-wise :)

Thanks again for the helping hand, Nathan!
All the best

Martin

PS: I might upload my first presentable clip soon, of things previously very fast ;)