Author Topic: MetaBones Speed Booster EF-MFT XL 0.64X doesn't fit new M4/3 mount  (Read 8522 times)

directorbryce

• View Profile
Hey All -

As the title says, the Speed Booster EF-MFT XL 0.64x doesn't screw into the Chronos M4/3 adapter for some reason. It's not a depth issue, it just literally will not turn past about 5mm. The Speed booster works very well on a GH6, BlackMagic pocket 4k, etc. But I'm trying to figure out if the Chronos mount is faulty, or if it just wasn't mentioned that the XL doesn't fit.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if you have made a speed booster properly turn and lock into the official Chronos M4/3 mount, did you use a different model? (0.71) or perhaps another way?

Thank's all -

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: MetaBones Speed Booster EF-MFT XL 0.64X doesn't fit new M4/3 mount
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 03:11:25 PM »
Can you share a image with the M3/4 Adapter Mounted to the Camera but no lens Attached to the Adapter, where the Sensor is Visible? (Front View of Camera Basically)
 I do own a 0.64x and a 0.58x Metabones Speedbooster and have had Hands on with an 0.71x from Metabones, they all do fit usually.

directorbryce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 05:33:58 PM »
Here it is: https://imgur.com/a/zp0jS3s

The Speed Booster simply will not turn more than about 10 degrees. Regular M4/3 lenses will indeed turn and lock on this mount though. And both the speedbooster and the lenses will attached to a GH6 and Black magic pocket 4k.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 05:42:33 PM »
Here it is: https://imgur.com/a/zp0jS3s

The Speed Booster simply will not turn more than about 10 degrees. Regular M4/3 lenses will indeed turn and lock on this mount though. And both the speedbooster and the lenses will attached to a GH6 and Black magic pocket 4k.
Well, seems normal to me from the images...
 Just asking the most obvious Question, you do line up the Dot on the Speedbooster with the Red dot and turn the Lens In Clockwise Direction (Clockwise while looking at the Camera into the Lens / From the Front)?  Also, did you Remove the Little Standoff Thing / Tripod Support Bracket on the Speedbooster before Mounting? its usually Screwed on by two Hex-Head Screws from the Bottom, and on most of the Speedbooster versions can be in the Way to mount it on the Chronos in that way.
 Other than that, maybe try to share a very short Video of it, trying to mount it and showing some Closeup of the Speedbooster Mount all around. From the Image, i cant see anything wrong with it so far...

directorbryce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 06:59:42 PM »
Just for context, I'm very technically experienced with everything from PL mounts, E mounts, EF mount, Bayonet mounts, etc. and camera systems from Arri, RED, Sony, Canon, etc. (again, don't want to sound like a douche, but purely for context so anyone that replies can rule out inexperience)

I disassembled the mount, tried mounting the Speed Booster with just the mount detached from the camera body, etc, and it does seem this mount is machined improperly for some reason. Maybe a QC issue. Have you had any experiences with Chronos's customer service? I'm likely going to return for a new one at this point. I have a shoot coming up that needs ultra high speed and can't fit a Phantom into the current budget. 

Thanks again for replying -

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 07:24:25 PM »
I am trying not to insult People by asking super dumb and Basic Questions, but sadly more often than not i seen the Problem actually being the most Obvious and Basic Errors, so i kind of have to ask at some point. However, thanks a lot for Clarificaton, so i can assume you know the basics on how to handle and Mount Optics and such.
 As for QC, i had my hands on Adapters from this type from three different Batches, and Krontech had quite some QC issues on the First run, was really not happy with that one and sent it back myself. the Next batch was better, but still had some Flaws, however i did Keep that one, and just fixed the Problems myself, as i just needed a Mount eventually, and sending it back and fourth gets expensive.
 as for the part if its a QC error, i have to ask, do you have access to a Micrometer somewhere (decent Quality digital Calipers would also work, but its a lot more difficult to meassure with)? If so, i might give you some instruction on how to meassure if its in Specification on size (i have a guess on what the Issue probably is).
 From my own testing and Reverse-Engineering of the MFT-Specification itself, there is Quite some Tolerances involved in MFT Lenses and Adapters, and Metabones Speedboosters being on the Tighter Side. So if you have any very Cheap Native MFT Mount Lenses or some of the Cheap China MFT Adapters, try to mount one of those and see, if that will mount propperly.
 Krontech Customer Service in General is good, but it can be a bit of a Pain and take some time to even get some Conversation with them going. But once you manage to get a Conversation with someone from Krontech going, it usually goes pretty smooth from there (at least it did for me whenever i needed anything so far).

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 08:05:28 PM »
oh, i just re-read your earlier Post, and you Said other Lenses mount fine to the Adapter. That Pretty much confirmes then, that the little Spacers on the Backside of the Front Ring are Probably a little oversized to fit the Metabones.
 Only Question now is, if you have any way to somewhat accurately Meassure those Tabs?