Author Topic: Chronos 1.4 and 2.1 lowering bit depth to increase frame rates?  (Read 7128 times)

B.H.V

• View Profile
Chronos 1.4 and 2.1 lowering bit depth to increase frame rates?
« on: November 16, 2023, 02:34:14 PM »
I see the new Chronos cameras have the ability to go down in bit depth to 8 and 10 bit to increase frame rate. Can a firmware upgrade be done to the 1.4 and 2.1 to allow for this ability as well?

havenams

• View Profile
Re: Chronos 1.4 and 2.1 lowering bit depth to increase frame rates?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 08:03:07 PM »

I see the new Chronos cameras have the ability to go down in bit depth to 8 and 10 bit to increase frame geometry dash lite rate. Can a firmware upgrade be done to the 1.4 and 2.1 to allow for this ability as well?

Whether a firmware upgrade to enable lower bit depths (8 and 10) on the Chronos 1.4 and 2.1 cameras is possible depends on a few factors:

The cameras' sensors need to be physically capable of capturing data at lower bit depths. If the sensors are only designed for 12-bit capture, then it might be impossible to achieve lower bit depths through firmware alone.
The cameras' internal hardware might not be able to handle the processing and storage of lower bit depth data efficiently. Upgrading the firmware might not be enough to address this limitation.

moonlight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 06:20:44 AM »
 I've been digging into this bit depth upgrade thing. From what I've gathered, a firmware update for the 1.4 and 2.1 to boost frame rate sounds awesome, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it's in the cards. I wish they could pull it off, but as of now, it looks like it's a feature exclusive to the new models.

B.H.V

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 08:06:30 AM »
I've been digging into this bit depth upgrade thing. From what I've gathered, a firmware update for the 1.4 and 2.1 to boost frame rate sounds awesome, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it's in the cards. I wish they could pull it off, but as of now, it looks like it's a feature exclusive to the new models.

Yeah, Sanjay already got back to me and said it's not possible. : ( I'm hoping they at least can bring out an HDR or log profile for the 1.4 and 2.1 to get better highlight and shadow detail. If I recall correctly it was supposed to be planned in the early days of the 1.4 release but it was scrapped for some reason.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 08:08:40 AM by B.H.V »

B.H.V

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 07:58:41 AM »
Lower bit depth data must be physically recordable by the cameras' sensors. In the event that the sensors are only meant for 12-bit capture, it could be challenging to achieve lower bit depths using firmware alone.

Yeah true.